Iran makes new proposal for deal to end war, regional officials say
Source: The Guardian
Iran makes new proposal for deal to end war, regional officials say
Tehran is said to have made or reiterated some concessions but source in mediator Pakistan appears pessimistic
Jason Burke and Saeed Shah in Islamabad
Mon 18 May 2026 13.21 EDT
Last modified on Mon 18 May 2026 16.08 EDT
Iran has made a new proposal for a deal to definitively end the war in the Middle East, officials in the region said on Monday, though there was no sign of any immediate breakthrough in the stalled peace negotiations.
A ceasefire has paused most violence after six weeks of US-Israeli airstrikes and Iranian retaliation, but there has been little progress since Donald Trump said the ceasefire was on life support, and reports in Israeli media suggest a resumption of hostilities is imminent.
Pakistan, which has mediated the discussions since a ceasefire came into effect last month, has shared with the US the new Iranian proposal, said Irans foreign ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, but he gave no details.
There were contradictory reports from Islamabad. A Pakistani source appeared pessimistic, telling Reuters that Washington and Tehran keep changing their goalposts and that time was running out to find agreement.
-snip-
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/18/iran-new-proposal-deal-to-end-war-us-israel