New York Times sues Pentagon a second time, calling press access policy "patently unconstitutional"
Source: CBS News/AP
May 18, 2026 / 7:39 PM EDT
The New York Times sued the Defense Department on Monday for the second time in five months, arguing a requirement that journalists be escorted while on Pentagon grounds violates the First Amendment. The lawsuit casts the escort policy as part of "a series of escalating steps designed to stop unfavorable coverage" and "dramatically curtails longstanding press access to the Pentagon," in violation of the First and Fifth amendments.
The policy is "an unconstitutional attempt by the Pentagon to prevent independent reporting on military affairs," a Times spokesman, Charlie Stadtlander, said in an email to The Associated Press. "As we have said before: Americans deserve visibility into how their government is being run, and the actions the military is taking in their name and with their tax dollars."
On X, Defense Department spokesperson Sean Parnell called the Times' latest lawsuit "nothing more than an attempt to remove the barriers to them getting their hands on classified information."
The Times lawsuit is another salvo in the escalating tensions between the U.S. media and the second Trump administration, which has played out both in the public arena and at times in the courts. The paper filed Monday's lawsuit after first suing the Pentagon in December over a separate set of rules imposed by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth last fall.
Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-times-sues-pentagon-second-time-media-restrictions/
Link to SUIT - https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.292479/gov.uscourts.dcd.292479.1.0.pdf
REFERENCES
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143576738
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10143628159 (has earlier ones)
cstanleytech
(28,594 posts)Clearly if they are being required to have it everywhere then it's being used in an effort to harass and intimidate them.
maxsolomon
(39,127 posts)The Courts move glacially and the Regime will appeal any orders up to the SCOTUS. If/when appeals run out, they'll ignore the order.
So much for the Constitution.
BumRushDaShow
(172,246 posts)So as a response instead of useless appeals, they decided to go with this latest half-assed policy of "escorts", triggering the 2nd suit.
maxsolomon
(39,127 posts)Extending MFer's MO through every corner of the Federal Govt.
BumRushDaShow
(172,246 posts)except that as part of that, he makes sure that he is juggling so many balls at one time, that are going in all different directions, that he is counting on you to miss or forget about the ones that he discretely tosses away.
In other words, he has so far lost over 10,000 cases from the immigration and tariffs policies that were not appealed, and only a handful of suits have actually been appealed all the way.
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.